Monday 20 May 2013

Deportment

My mother always said that one should stand up straight and not slouch and I think it was the teaching of her mother. SO to help me she would make me walk around with a book on my head. Head up, shoulders back, tummy in kind of thing.  In those days one did as we were told. I tried to instill this theory to my daughter and she just fell about laughter and said "Oh no, not going to happen - no way!" "It is old fashioned and we dont need to do it". Of course I beg to differ when I see the sad postures of many folk who walk around. Anyway, here in Africa, it is common practise for the African women to walk around with things on their heads - not for posture but for they need there hands for other heavy work as the husband walks in front of them with nothing...... yes it still happens. But oh my, they do stand up straight and seem very proud. What they carry varies and it is amazing at what a load they can put on their heads and the shape does not seem to matter. They are also taught from an early age to carry things on their heads.

Here are some of my favourite pictures.






No comments:

Post a Comment