Thursday 7 January 2016

Zanzibar - (1) - Prison Island - Tortoises


First of all let me say Happy New Year to everyone who reads my Blog. I do hope that 2016 will be a good and wonderful year for all. With the world in such disarray I hope you can find a spot where you are happy and settled with great friends, family and a bottle of wine at the end of the day as the sun goes down. Wishing you all the very best.

I have just spent a week in Zanzibar with my husband Robin and my daughter Bianca. It was fun and full of unusual things. In the next few days or weeks depending on the electricity and connections here I will upload my photos and  little stories.

I will start with my visit to Prison Island which is only 20 - 30 minute boat ride from Zanzibar. This island was once used as a place where slaves were detained and after this period, it was turned into a camp where people with deadly diseases were sent. Now it is a pretty island which is a nature reserve for the giant tortoise. The original tortoise came from Seychelles -  starting with only two and now they have more than a few. Our guide informed us that there are only three things these creatures love. Food, sleep and lots of sex... His words and he was not wrong about the sex. These creatures live for ages and we were told that their heart beats only 6 times a minute. No wonder they live for ever.

Coming up to the island

Pathway to the main building... interesting walls. 



The new bar in the restaurant area.. used to be a holding cell 

The old bars looking out to sea

Stairs down to the front of the island.... the gate used to
be locked at all times. 
This room used to be a holding cell - Now a  ladies bathroom. When the Arabs took over the island they would put the slaves who did not respect their
masters into this room and chain them to the floor.
You can still see the bolt ring in the floor.


A deep pit where the tortoise sleep, eat and breed.


 Here Bianca is giving the tortoise a scratch which
apparently they love and in appreciation they
stand up on their legs.. Funny that.
This is the biggest tortoise and he is 800 kg's and 154 years old... Wow!

The main prison which is now a restaurant. The island was first called KIBANDIKO
(signal island) and then called CHANGUU (red snapper). In 1890 the British bought
the island and made it into a new prison but it never held any prisoners. 



Here I am scratching his head - he thought this was great
and even got up on his legs for me. There skin is supposed to be
"super" sensitive. I think he thought I would give him a kiss
as the closer he got to my face. Sorry, no such luck. 







No comments:

Post a Comment